指位于甘榜武吉士（Kampong Bugis）的加冷煤气厂（Kallang Gasworks）。
Refers to the Kallang Gasworks at Kampong Bugis.
The Mandarin term “火城” is a transliteration of the Hokkien (Minnan) word huay sia. One belief is that the place got its name because the residents there had fears that the gas plant might explode.
The Kallang Gasworks, which was built in 1862, occupied an area of 3.14 hectares. It was the only plant in Singapore at the time that produced gas by burning coal for street lighting in Singapore. Since its opening, the Kallang Gasworks was monitored 24 hours, seven days a week.
It was originally managed by a private organization called PowerGas, to provide gas for public street lighting until 1901, when the company was taken over by the Municipal Commission.
In 1958, coal was replaced by fuel oil. As a result, new oil gasification plants were installed in the Kallang Gasworks.
In 1963, after the establishment of the Public Utilities Board (PUB), the gas plant was no longer responsible for gas, electricity and water services.
In 1975, the Kallang Gasworks reformed fuel oil to produce natural gas.
In 1995, the gas and electricity operations of the PUB were corporatized. Singapore Power was established as a result to undertake these operations.
In July 1997, after 130 years, gas production operations were shifted from the Kallang Gasworks to Senoko.
In March 1998, Kallang Gasworks was officially decommissioned after producing gas for more than 130 years.
The intersection of Kallang Road and Lavender Street, along with its surrounding areas, are commonly known as 火城 due to its proximity to the Kallang Gasworks.
Click here to view references for Kallang Gasworks
lǎo yé gōng kǒu
shí bā jiān