An area located in the eastern part of Singapore city center.
It is believed that there are three possible origins of the Mandarin term “梧槽”. The first belief is that it originated from the Malay term rocoh, and this belief is more accepted by scholars. Rocoh refers to the use of pointed wooden sticks to draw boundary lines on the ground. It is said that this was the common practice for marking boundaries before the colonial government started using boundary stones.
The second belief is that it originated from the Mandarin term “五祖”, referring to the five ancestors who first settled down in the Rochor area.
The third belief is that the Mandarin term “五祖” referred to the founder of the Anti-Qing organisation known as the “Heaven and Earth Society”. Its Singapore branch was founded by Ts'ao Ah Chih (also known as Chow Ah Chi or Cho Ah Chee), a member of the organisation who arrived in Singapore with Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819.
In conjunction with the construction of the 21.5 km-long North-South Corridor, the four blocks of flats at Rochor Centre were acquired by the Government at the end of 2011. Most of the residents have already moved to the new replacement flats next to Kallang MRT Station. (Lianhe Zaobao, 27/6/2018)
Landmarks related to Rochor include Rochor River, Rochor Road and Rochor Canal Road.
According to oral history, Ts'ao Ah Chih was the founder of the House of Cho and the Ning Yeung Wui Kuan. The former site of the House of Cho is located at the junction of Lavender Road and Kallang Road, on the north bank of the Rochor River. The former site of the House of Cho was acquired by the Government in the 1970s and the association moved out in 1974.
Click here to view references for Rochor
lè líng zhōng xīn
niú chē shuĭ
gān bǎng gé nán