Say It Right! contains a list of commonly mispronounced words with correct audio pronunciations and definitions in a Singaporean voice. Learn how to pronounce words like liaise, siphon, esplanade, almond, library.
Definition: (of a disease) Affecting a large area, especially the whole world
Example: Steps are being taken to prevent another H1N1 pandemic.
Definition: Facts which establish how much something can change
Example: We have to work within the parameters of society.
Definition: To take part in an activity
Example: The event will be more successful if everyone participates.
Definition: Details/specifics of an item or person.
Example: Please fill in your particulars to enter the contest.
Definition: People who travel in a vehicle or ship
Example: Singapore taxis can only take a maximum of four passengers.
Definition: The people who are employed in an organisation
Example: Only authorised personnel are allowed to enter the building.
Definition: A picture produced using a camera
Example: He carries a photograph of his girlfriend in his wallet.
- The process of recording images on sensitized material by the action of light, X-rays, etc, and the chemical processing of this material to produce a print, slide, or cine film
- The act of taking pictures using a camera
Example: Photography is his hobby.
- An image such as a painting, drawing or photograph
- An image on a television screen
- A cinema film
- (the pictures) the cinema
- An impression formed from n account or description of something
- Represent someone or something in a picture
- Form a mental image of; visualize
Example: This is a picture of my dog.
Definition: Poems as a form of literature
Example: We study poetry in our literature class.
Definition: Objects such as cups and plates made out of a fine white substance made from clay
Example: Her skin was like fine porcelain.
Definition: Small and easily carried
Example: I was given a portable music player.
Definition: Having possibilities that are not fully developed
Example: She has shown great potential in class.
Definition: To speak to god in a humble way
Example: She says a prayer every night.
Definition: An animal that kills and eats other animals
Example: A tiger’s strong jaws and very sharp teeth make it an excellent predator.
Definition: To make something ready
Example: It will take us a week to prepare for this party.
Definition: Originally, mainly
Example: This food is meant primarily for diabetics and therefore contains less sugar.
Definition: Something that is important and must be handled before anything else
Example: Her family is her first priority.
Definition: Very likely, very probable
Example: I will probably see you tonight.
- The act, instance, or manner of pronouncing sounds
- The supposedly correct manner of pronouncing sounds in a given language
- A phonetic transcription of a word
Example: Good pronunciation is important.
Definition: Relating to the human brain
Example: Psychological defence is one of the five pillars of Singapore’s total defence strategy.
Definition: To buy
Example: The purchase of the house will soon be complete.