Singaporean Mandarin Database
This database contains a collection of Mandarin terms which have cultural, historical or sentimental value unique to Singapore. These terms may be used by Singaporeans in the past or at present. Some of the terms are read in print while others are used in our everyday conversations.
A Judge of the Supreme Court appointed for a specific period.
- 由于新加坡高等法庭的法官供不应求， 高等法院于1971年修正宪法第94条，允许高等法庭委任更多法官。
- 高等法庭司法委员必须由律师专业法令（Legal Profession Act）鉴定为“合格者”，或是新加坡法律服务（Singapore Legal Service）的会员至少10年，或两者均作为考量的范围。历年来，各大律师事务所的合伙律师和从事法律服务的高级官员曾被委任为司法委员。
- 司法委员的委任由总理提议并由总统通过，而总理在委任司法委员的过程中，则必须采取大法官（Chief Justice）的意见。
- Due to the shortage of judges in the Singapore Supreme Court, the Supreme Court amended Article 94 of the Singapore Constitution in 1971 to permit the appointment of more judges.
- Under the amended Constitution in 1971, Supreme Court Judges who retire at the age of 65 are permitted to continue working as judges on a contractual basis for one to three years.
- As it can be challenging to appoint senior legal personnel, the Government amended the Constitution again in 1979 which led to the appointment of Judicial Commissioners (JC).
- A person may be appointed a Judicial Commissioner if he is deemed a “qualified person” under the Legal Profession Act or has been a member of the Singapore Legal Service for at least 10 years or both. Over the years, partners from major law firms and senior officers from the legal service have been appointed as JCs.
- The President, on the advice of the Prime Minister, appoints the Judicial Commissioners. The Prime Minister is required to consult the Chief Justice before tendering his advice on the appointment of Judicial Commissioners.
- Unlike the permanent role of a Judge in the Supreme Court, Judicial Commissioners only serve for a specific period.
President Halimah appointed a new International Judge and three current Judicial Commissioners of the Supreme Court as High Court Judges. Their appointment will commence from the first day of the coming month. (Lianhe Zaobao, 16/7/2019)