Singaporean Mandarin Database
This database contains a collection of Mandarin terms which have cultural, historical or sentimental value unique to Singapore. These terms may be used by Singaporeans in the past or at present. Some of the terms are read in print while others are used in our everyday conversations.
The Singapore Sweep Lottery
The Singapore Sweep Lottery
A type of lottery in Singapore. Also known in Mandarin as "大彩".
- 意译自英语“The Singapore Sweep”。
- 大彩于1969年由新加坡博彩公司（Singapore Pools Pte. Ltd）开始经营，最初主要为新加坡前体育馆筹款。当时每张大彩售价一元，首奖奖金为400,000元。
- 1995年，大彩增设更多奖金组别。自1998年起，大彩设有15个奖金组别， 包括头奖、二奖、三奖、积博奖（Jackpot Prizes）、幸运奖（Lucky Prizes）、礼奖（Gift Prizes）、安慰奖（Consolation Prizes）、七种三位数小奖（Three-Digit Prize）和奖励金（Premium Prize）。同年，博彩公司承诺将所得盈余捐给新加坡滨海艺术中心（Esplanade）。
- 目前，每张大彩售价三元。奖金组别包括首奖、二奖、三奖各一份、积博奖、幸运奖、礼奖、安慰奖各、参与奖（Participant Prizes）和二位数欢乐奖（2D Delight Prizes）。
- The Mandarin term “新加坡大彩” is a paraphrase of the English term “The Singapore Sweep”.
The Singapore Sweep Lottery (also known as Big Sweep) is similar to 4D or Toto.
- It is conducted once a month, with 3.5 million sets of seven-digit numbers for sale, each sold at $3. The draw is held on the first Wednesday of every month at 6:30pm, with ticket sales stopping at 6pm on the day of the draw.
- The Big Sweep was first held by Singapore Pools Pte. Ltd in 1969 to raise funds for the first National Stadium. Each ticket cost $1, and the first prize was $400,000 then.
- In 1981, the first prize was increased to $600,000. In 1982, the first prize was increased to $1 million, and the price of each ticket to $2. In 2004, the first prize was doubled to $2 million. In 2013, the first prize was increased to $2.3 million.
- In 1995, more prizes were included in the Big Sweep. From 1998, the Big Sweep was relaunched with 15 categories of prizes, including First, Second and Third prizes, Jackpot Prizes, Lucky Prizes, Gift Prizes, Consolation Prizes, Three-Digit Prize and Premium Prize. In the same year, Singapore Pools pledged to donate the proceeds of the game to the construction of the Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay.
- Currently, the price of each ticket is $3. The prize structure includes one each of the First, Second, and Third Prize, ten each of the Jackpot Prizes and Lucky Prizes, thirty each of the Gift Prize and Consolation Prize, and 50 each of the Participant Prize, as well as 2D Delight Prizes.
- In 2018, the Big Sweep went electronic. Instead of pre-printed tickets, lottery tickets would be printed on-demand at betting stations.
大彩投注方式电脑化之后，投注站将“按需印刷”（Print Upon Request），公众只需到投注站，口头告知投注站职员要买大彩，投注站职员就会通过万字票和多多的打印机，打印出一组七个号码的大彩彩券。（《联合早报》，23/6/2018）
After the launch of computerised betting for the Big Sweep, tickets will be printed upon request. Customers can approach counter staff at betting stations to buy Big Sweep tickets. The counter staff will then use the same machine for 4D and Toto tickets to print out the lottery tickets with a set of 7 numbers. (Lianhe Zaobao, 23/6/2018)