Singaporean Mandarin Database
This database contains a collection of Mandarin terms which have cultural, historical or sentimental value unique to Singapore. These terms may be used by Singaporeans in the past or at present. Some of the terms are read in print while others are used in our everyday conversations.
A housing estate located in the southwestern part of central Singapore.
- 女皇镇的前身被华族村民称为“无尾港”（福建话（闽南话）为 boh beh kang），因为在那里落脚的居民无法确定流往芳林山（Hong Lim Hill）和丰兴山（Hong Yin Hill）这两座山的水源。无尾港乡村远离城市中心的吵杂喧闹，对居民是居住的好地方。许多户人家居住在芳林山脚下两层楼和三层楼的亚答屋。
- 1953年9月27日，改良信托局（Singapore Improvement Trust, SIT）的英国官员，为了纪念伊丽莎白女皇二世一年前的加冕，将“无尾港”取名为“女皇镇”。女皇镇是当地政府建设的首个卫星镇（satellite town），主要是为了应付牛车水人口拥挤的问题。
- The original name for Queenstown was known among the Chinese villagers as boh beh kang (Hokkien pronunciation for “No End River”), because people who lived there were uncertain of the source of the water flowing to Hong Lim Hill and Hong Yin Hill. Boh beh kang was a village away from the bustling city centre, and was a conducive environment for residents. Many people lived in two-storey and three-storey attap huts built at the foot of Hong Lim Hill.
- On 27 September 1953, to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II the year before, the British officials from the Singapore Improvement Trust (SIT) renamed boh beh kang as “Queenstown”. At that time, Queenstown was the first satellite town built by the government, with the aim of relieving the overcrowding situation in Chinatown.
- In 1968, Hong Lim Hill and Hong Yin Hill were levelled to make way for the Mei Ling estate.
负责销售的是高纬环球。该公司资本市场主管傅子伟指出，地段周围正在进行大量工程，为这一带注入新活力，包括女皇镇杜生的多个新组屋项目，新公寓项目尚景苑（Stirling Residences）、景悦苑（Margaret Ville）、Commonwealth Towers和女皇碧苑（Queens Peak）。（《联合早报》，4/12/2018）
Cushman & Wakefield, the company in charge of sale, and Shaun Poh, the head of Capital Markets for the company, pointed out that the area is now undergoing major construction projects to bring new vitality to the area. The projects launched in Queenstown and Dawson estate areas include Stirling Residences, Margaret Ville, Commonwealth Towers and Queens Peak. (Lianhe Zaobao, 4/12/2018)