Singaporean Mandarin Database
This database contains a collection of Mandarin terms which have cultural, historical or sentimental value unique to Singapore. These terms may be used by Singaporeans in the past or at present. Some of the terms are read in print while others are used in our everyday conversations.
Tax payable for the use of public roads by motorists.
- 新加坡独立初期，政府面临着土地有限和限制车辆数量的问题，1968年车辆进口税根据抵岸价（Open Market Value）从10%增至30%。
- 1972年，车辆进口税根据抵岸价增加至45%，另外还附加注册费（Additional Registration Fee, ARF），新车的注册费是新车市价的25%。
- 然而，以上这些措施无法有效地控制路上的车辆继续增加。1974年所有的新车必须缴付附加注册费，费用从车子市价的25%增至55%。车主每年需要缴付的路税为每cc $0.14至$0.60之间。
- In the early days of Singapore’s independence, the Government faced numerous issues, such as limited land and restrictions on the number of vehicles. In 1968, the customs excise duty to import a car was increased from 10% to 30% of the Open Market Value of the car.
- In 1972, the customs excise duty to import a car was further increased to 45% according to the Open Market Value of the car, and an Additional Registration Fee (ARF) was imposed, with the registration fee for new cars set at 25% of a new car’s market value.
- However, these measures were not effective in controlling the number of vehicles on the road, which continued to increase. By 1974, all new vehicle owners were required to pay an Additional Registration Fee, which increased from 25% to 55% of the vehicle’s market value. The road tax payable by the car owner was between $0.14 and $0.60 per cc.
- Today, the road tax system requires car owners to pay the road tax every six months or annually. When a car owner sells their car, this road tax paid is transferred to the new owner. The payable road tax is calculated based on the engine capacity and age of the vehicle.
The car owner argued in Court that since the car was not in use, there was no need to pay a road tax. The Judge agreed with the Prosecutor’s point that a car park was also considered a public road, and thus fined the car owner $1,200. Not satisfied with the judgement passed, the car owner appealed against the sentence. （Lianhe Wanbao, 5/4/2018）